Thursday, April 19, 2012

Out in the Garden & Stitches South

Lots of super secret knitting going on around here, which unfortunately I can't share for awhile.  But what I can share is a few pictures from my garden.  It was my New Year's resolution this year to rid myself of my very black thumb and learn how to grow my own vegetables.  The first round failed miserably, but the second round is still going strong.  So far I have been enjoying homegrown lettuce, radishes, beets, chives and parsley.  In February I was grumbling about how slow my plants were growing, so my husband humored me and bought me some lettuce seedlings.  We have eaten most of that lettuce, and much to my surprise after picking off all the  leaves more lettuce is growing back!  I was happily shocked when I saw the new leaves sprout.  Well, I guess it is the plant that keeps on giving.  I went out this morning after the rain stopped to give my plants their daily inspection.  I had a furry little helper too, who was keeping an eye on the mail man.

I will be moving in a few months, and hopefully my new home will have a patio or some sort of space for my container garden.  I'm hoping to even have enough room for some vines- maybe cucumber, zucchini or pumpkin.  Or maybe all three?  Whenever my husband wants to go to Home Depot or Lowe's I always wander into the nursery and daydream in front of all the seed packets.  Speaking or seeds, (or I guess writing of seeds) I have a special picture of my favorite plant.  This is a cherry tomato plant that I grew from seeds and it has sprouted its first batch of tomatoes.  It might sound funny to anyone who grew up in the country, but being a city girl I have a certain pride when I put the bowl of salad on the dinner table and say "Hey, I GREW all the stuff in this bowl!"

On another note, Stitches South is this weekend in Atlanta and I get to go!  So happy!  This will be my first year going to any sort of knitting convention.  I'm going alone, so I am a little nervous.  I don't get to interact with other crafters here in Georgia, so it will be a welcome relief to see some handknits and knitting needles. I'm taking two classes, Design Your Own Triangle Shawl and The Entrelac Shift: Combining Fabrics for Maximum Effect.  I've spent a lot of time trying to learn both of those subjects on my own and didn't get too far, so I can't wait to take these classes.  Of course I am also excited about buying more yarn.  I'm hoping to find some Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light.  I have a few designs in mind that I think would pair perfectly with the sheen and drape of that singles yarn.

Well, hopefully my next post will be a summary of the goings on at Stitches.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment