Thursday, September 15, 2011

Design Aesthetic - Do You Have One?

Recently there has been a discussion about layouts for design proposals in the Designers group on Ravelry.  Several magazine editors have chimed in on what they looking for in a proposal, and one editor suggested a proposal that 'represents your aesthetic as a designer'.  What exactly does that mean?  I thought about it for a few minutes, and came to the conclusion that a 'design aesthetic' is a recurring theme or style that is apparent in a person's designs.  Sometimes you can spot a design and instantly know who the designer is without even having to look at the name.  A couple of handknit designers with a strong design aesthetic come to my mind.  Joan McGowan-Michael creates very feminine and vintage sweaters that are flattering for all figures.  Ysolda Teague creates whimsical and somewhat retro designs that are very wearable for everyday life.  But what about me?  Do I have a design aesthetic?  Looking at my 27 patterns listed on Ravelry, I don't think any of them scream "Thats a Cassie Castillo design!!" so maybe I don't have a certain style yet.  This is something I've struggled with since I was in fashion design school.  Other students around me definitely had a certain style of dress and their collections reflected that style.  If I had an unlimited budget, I suppose that my wardrobe would be very 1940's/50's inspired and I would knit sweaters to match.  I definitely know what I like to knit- designing cables, interesting use of entrelac, and geometric lace motifs- but I don't have a theme or 'message' that some artists try to convery in their art.  Maybe the design aesthetic is something that can only be built up with time and practice, so I'll keep on designing and hope that a theme eventually emerges.

Now if you've read this far, I'll give you another sneak peek at my upcoming design.  It was a nice and cloudy morning-- perfect for diffused lighting-- so I hurried outside with my tripod and took photos of my Button Box Cloche.  This one is definitely vintage inspired, so maybe I'll just add on to that 'design aesthetic'!

No comments:

Post a Comment