Sunday, April 3, 2011
After neglecting my spinning wheel for several months, I decided to sit down this weekend and spin something start to finish. I had some wool roving in my stash that I dyed in the crock pot that would be perfect- a little over 2 ounces of merino in shades of red, fuschia and purple. On Friday night I divided the roving in half and predrafted into pretty little bird nests.
I started spinning Saturday morning and by the end of the evening had spun half of the fiber. I predrafted the rest and spun all of Sunday morning and plied in the afternoon. It was my intention to spin fingering weight yarn to knit up a Mariposa Shawl for myself. Unfortunately, my spinning is still far from perfect and I ended up with a thick and thin yarn ranging from fingering to worsted weight and only 300 yards. I am still quite happy with how it turned out and someday it will be a lovely hat.